statement of purpose
Open Classes (formerly the Student at Large program) is sponsored by the Chicago Institute for Psychoanalysis. The Program was developed to give those with a serious interest in psychoanalysis the opportunity to take courses taught by an experienced psychoanalyst as well as some courses in the Psychoanalytic Education Program. This program gives people from various backgrounds an introduction to psychoanalysis and the opportunity to develop their knowledge and understanding about psychoanalytic theory and practice. One of the goals is to demonstrate the value of psychoanalytic ideas to a larger proportion of the population.
- Clinicians who are considering the Psychoanalytic Education Program, the Adult Psychotherapy Program or the Child and Adolescent Psychotherapy Program, but are not ready to commit to the rigors of full training.
- Clinicians who wish to gain a deeper understanding of psychoanalytic ideas and practice to use in treatment with their patients, but are not planning on full psychoanalytic training.
- Graduates of the Adult Psychotherapy Program or CAPPT who wish to continue their education and affiliation with the Chicago Institute for Psychoanalysis
- Students in clinical PhD or PsyD programs or in clinical Master’s programs with an interest in psychoanalytic theory and clinical process who may wish to seek admission to CIP programs in the future
- Academicians, researchers and scholars in related fields who teach in university settings who wish to deepen their understanding of psychoanalytic theory and clinical process to assist their teaching and research programs
- Individuals with non-clinical Master’s degrees who have a serious interest in psychoanalysis
- Fill out the application to the Open Classes Program (click here) and return to the Education Programs Coordinator, Alison Chandler. Along with the application, please submit the following items:
- Curriculum Vitae/Resume
- $75 Non-Refundable Application Fee (if paying by check, please make out to Institute for Psychoanalysis). Please note that if you decide after applying and paying the fee that you'd like to cancel your application, we cannot refund the fee.
Admissions Deadlines: July 1 for Fall; November 1 for Winter; February 1 for Spring.
Please submit application materials to:
Alison Chandler, MA, MS
Institute for Psychoanalysis
122 S Michigan Ave, Ste 1300
Chicago, IL 60603
or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have questions about the program, please contact Alison Chandler, Director of Education Administration at 312-897-1403 or email@example.com.
Once you return the application form, a member of the Admissions Committee will contact you to set up a brief interview. You will be notified of your acceptance immediately following.
Once accepted into the program, you will be sent additional information and registration instructions.
All classes are taught by members of the faculty of The Chicago Institute for Psychoanalysis.
Students are permitted to take a maximum of 2 courses in any quarter.
Students must receive instructor permission for each course prior to enrolling.
- 2017-2018 Academic Calendar
- 2017-2018 Class Schedule - Class enrollment is at the discretion of the instructor. In general, clinical courses are not available to Students at Large. Once admitted, you will receive registration information and instructions.
- 2017-2018 Course Catalog
tuition & fees (2017-2018)*
Tuition is charged on a per-course basis:
6 Session Course (meets on alternate weeks): $400.00 per quarter
12 Session Course (meets weekly): $700.00 per quarter
There is a $40 annual fee for access to the online Psychoanalytic Electronic Publishing Library, PEP-Web. All tuition and fees must be paid, or a tuition payment plan arrangement must be made by the end of the registration period in order to participate in classes.
*Tuition & fees may change annually
frequently asked questions
- When and where are the classes? The Chicago Institute is located at 122 S. Michigan Avenue on the 13th floor. Stop at the front desk of the Institute (across from the elevators on the left) for direction to the classrooms. Almost all classes meet on Friday, and are scheduled between 8:30 am and 4:30 pm. Most classes meet every other week and are scheduled on alternating A or B weeks. Several classes meet every week, e.g. the Freud course.
- Which classes can I take? In general, introductory theory courses and electives are open to students in the At Large Program. Instructor permission is required to take a course. You must complete a Registration Request Form indicating which course(s) you would like to take. Dr. Linda Marino, Program Coordinator, will check with the course instructors for permission. If permission is not given, see your advisor about choosing a different course.
- Can I get CE credits for courses I take? Continuing Education Credits are offered after the completion of a class. If you attend all 6 class meeting in a regular 1-quarter course, you will receive 7.5 CE credits (15 for a 12 session course). Class periods are 1 hour-15 minutes long. In order to receive continuing education credit, you must sign in to verify your attendance and complete the evaluation at the end of the course.
This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation require-ments and policies of the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) through the joint providership of American Psychoanalytic Association and Chicago Institute for Psychoanalysis. The American Psychoanalytic Association is accredited by the ACCME to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The American Psychoanalytic Association designates this Live Activity for a maximum of 15 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
IMPORTANT DISCLOSURE INFORMATION FOR ALL LEARNERS: None of the planners and presenters of this CME program have any relevant financial relationships to disclose.
Psychologists: The Chicago Institute for Psychoanalysis is approved as a continuing education sponsor for Psychologists by the State of Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation. The Institute designates this continuing education activity as earning 15 hours of Continuing Education for Psychologists. CE Sponsor License #268.000091.
Social Workers: The Chicago Institute for Psychoanalysis is approved as a continuing education sponsor for social workers by the Department of Professional Regulations of the State of Illinois. The Institute designates this continuing education activity as earning a maximum of 15 hours of Continuing Education for Social Workers.
Professional Counselors: The Chicago Institute for Psychoanalysis is approved as a continuing education sponsor for Professional Counselors and Clinical Professional Counselors by the Department of Professional Regulations of the State of Illinois. The Institute designates this continuing educational activity as earning a maximum of 15 hours Continuing Education credit.
Marriage and Family Therapists: The Chicago Institute for Psychoanalysis is approved as a continuing education sponsor for Marriage and Family Therapists by the Department of Professional Regulations of the State of Illinois. The Institute designates this continuing educational activity as earning a maximum of 15 hour Continuing Education credit.
*Number of hours are per activity
The Institute for Psychoanalysis does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, and national or ethnic origin.