The Institute for Psychoanalysis offers several education programs for mental health professionals at all career levels. Explore which program may help you meet your professional goals:
Fundamentals of Psychoanalytic Thought: A one-year curriculum that provides foundational education in psychoanalytic thought, theory, and practice. Students take blocks of 4 courses per week through the academic year in a learning community that includes mental health clinicians, scholars, professionals in allied disciplines, college graduates, and the interested public.
- Psychoanalytic Education Program: This program trains mental health professionals as psychoanalysts of adults and children and prepares them for the practice of psychoanalysis. The intensive training includes coursework in the theory and practice of psychoanalysis; a personal psychoanalysis; and supervised clinical analytic experience.
- Psychoanalysis for Scholars: This program is designed for academics with advanced degrees who wish to pursue psychoanalytic training. It consists of a preparatory period of instruction, followed by the application to the Psychoanalytic Education Program.
- Adult Psychotherapy Program: This program is designed for licensed professionals who want to enhance their clinical skills in psychoanalytic psychotherapy with adults. Two years of coursework and supervised clinical experience lead to a certificate.
- Child & Adolescent Psychotherapy Training Program: For clinicians who work as child and adolescent therapists, this certificate-granting program teaches developmental theory, clinical theory related to work with children, adolescents and parents, and surveys of the symptoms and psychological problems of childhood.
- Fellowship Programs
- Exploring Psychoanalysis: This mentorship program is open to advanced trainees and early career professionals in psychiatry, psychology and social work or allied fields who have an interest in psychoanalysis.
- Psychotherapy Clinic Fellowship Program: A two year, part-time program for clinicians who wish to study and improve their skills in the psychotherapy of adults using psychoanalytic principles.
- Open Classes: This Program gives people from various backgrounds an introduction to psychoanalysis and the opportunity to develop their knowledge and understanding about psychoanalytic theory and practice.